The beautiful Laurelhurst neighborhood is known for its meticulously manicured lawns and stately homes. Home owners here have a sense of pride and community, many of which have grown up in this neighborhood and stayed to raise families of their own.
Schools here are no less impressive. Roosevelt high school is ranked the best high school in Seattle and seventh in the State. The Seattle Children’s Hospital, in Laurelhurst is famously one of the best in the country.
Laurelhurst covers an entire mini peninsula jutting into Lake Washington creating phenomenal water views on two sides. It’s an exclusive location close to the University district, Sand Point and only minutes from downtown. A boutique neighborhood that’s been around since the early 1900’s, it’s age only showing through the variety of architecture and charm.
The Laurelhurst Community Center is situated on top of a hill with views of Lake Washington below. The center offers toddler, preschool and afterschool programs and year-round events for kids. Located in the large Laurelhurst Playfield Park. The center creates a community linking neighbors together through events and play.
- September 6th the Community Center is holding its very popular, annual Backyard BBQ Salmon bake. Attended by 600 people last year, the BBQ is an entertaining community event including a carnival and kids bounce houses.
Next door to Laurelhurst is the University of Washington Botanic Gardens the gardens are beautiful resources for educating young minds. With programs from toddlerhood all the way through teens. The botanic garden offers summer camps, night hikes, free educational weekend walks, story times and a forest school.
- Forest schools are quickly becoming popular in Seattle, children learn to love nature by spending all day outside learning about botany, moss, bacteria, bugs and wildlife. Check the calendar for an extensive list of family activities.
Magnusun park is a 350-acre gem located only 2-3 miles away. Previously a naval base, the City of Seattle turned it into a recreation dream with the largest playground in the city including a climbing wall and a wading pool for toddlers in the summer.
Magnusun is the second largest park in Seattle, next to Discovery. Come enjoy the mile-long Lake Washington beach, boat launch, kite boarding and trails through marshes. Art installations and art deco areas give the park a feeling of cultivation. Off leash areas for dogs and beautiful sports fields are top notch thanks to a 13 million dollar make over in 2012. Not only did the city make life better for humans, they created wetlands for birds and wildlife to find refuge amid a growing city after breaking up landing strips and large amounts of concrete the navy left behind.
- Bring your kids to enjoy miniature golf in the summer.
- An architectural sound garden plays on the NOAA campus making music in the wind.
- Summer nights in the park have classic movies and food trucks.
- Kite hill is the perfect place to make lasting memories. Build a kite together and come fly it over the peninsula while enjoying views of Lake Washington and Mount Rainer in the background.
- Don’t miss the Children’s Garden and the Children’s Community Garden this is a perfect place for kids, four acres of fun with free events including family fun days, gardening classes, a community garden and continual educational opportunities keeping little ones bodies and minds busy in nature.
- Activity camps are open for older children.
The Laurelhurst Beach Club has a gated, private beach and is available exclusively to residents of Laurelhurst and Windemere who pay the annual dues. It’s a social hub of the neighborhood and an easy way to get acquainted with the community. They offer a junior sailing program for kids 8-14 to learn the ropes and youth swim lessons for kids to get comfortable with their sea legs.
The Burke Gilman trail connects the North side of the neighborhood to safely access the rest of the city by bicycle. Take the trail to parks all over the city without worrying about straying child bicyclists on busy city streets.
Laurelhurst is a haven for families within a big metropolis. Where you can enjoy all that Seattle has to offer while feeling safe on quiet streets. Known for good restaurants, friendly people and peaceful, treelined boulevards. Laurelhurst is a neighborhood where families build warm, happy memories so much so that kids might just stay to raise their own children.