Even after buying a new home, minor maintenance needs to be done to your home monthly to ensure it stands up for generations to come. By taking care of routine items before they become expensive repairs, you will be sure to save money and keep your home safe and comfortable. Below you will find some simple home maintenance tasks that will help keep your home in tip-top shape.
- Check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Clean or replace air conditioner filters monthly.
- Inspect, clean, or replace kitchen vent hood filters.
- Replace damaged or insulation-worn appliance cords.
- Test ground fault circuits (by using test buttons).
- Test sump pump (if applicable).
January/ February/ March
- Check attic for leaks and condensation and make sure vents are not obstructed.
- Clean/change furnace and humidifier filters. Oil water pumps or fans on furnaces.
- Remove holiday festive lights.
- Check snow load on roof.
- Clear your window wells and eaves-troughs.
- Adjust and/or lubricate your window and door hardware. Clean and install screens.
- Service and store winter maintenance equipment.
- Paint garden furniture and accessories.
- Seed and fertilize lawn, tend to composts.
- Prepare flower beds and plant garden.
- Turn off water to furnace humidifier and replace filter.
- Vacuum/clean all air ducts and vents.
- Re-install hose-bibs and/or remove winterization covers.
- Test heating/cooling unit thermostats & system.
- Clean and maintain air conditioning unit as per manufacturer's instructions. Change forced air furnace & humidifier filters. Have your air-conditioning unit serviced as required.
- Clear window wells and eaves-troughs.
- Tend to compost.
- Re-grade soil around foundation walls if needed, don't allow soil to touch the siding.
- Paint/stain exterior woodwork.
- Damp-proof masonry surfaces.
- Inspect and adjust fence and deck hardware as required.
- Test door and window hardware for security.
- Oil pumps and fans on furnace.
- Check supply of electrical fuses/breakers.
- Check stairs and handrails for stability.
- Check/adjust bathtub and shower caulking.
- Purchase necessary snow shovels, salt and sand.
- Winterize air conditioner.
- Turn off exterior taps.
- Clear window wells and eaves troughs.
- Winterize plants and shrubs.
- Winterize hose-bibs.
- Weatherproof windows and doors.
- Inspect roof openings, woodstoves and weatherproof as needed.
- Have fireplace, woodstoves, and flues inspected and cleaned.
- Clean/change furnace and humidifier filters.
- Check/test fire extinguishers.
- Check supply of electrical fuses, breakers, emergency candles, and flashlights.
- Fertilize lawn and garden.
- Prune trees and shrubs away from house.
- Plant spring bulbs.
- Put out bird feeders.
- Install holiday festive lights. Check exterior lighting for safety.
- Inspect all interior decorations, plugs and switches for safety.
- Salt and sand entrances and walkways for icy conditions.